Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Disappointed but not (quite) disillusioned...


For the first time in my life, I actively campaigned for a political candidate.  By this I mean that I volunteered to work at a local campaign office, as well as talked up the candidate.  I've spoken of him before.  I did this because he shares many of the same beliefs and core values that I do, not becuase he was the "popular" candidate or because he was endorsed by a television celebrity, movie star, or musician.  Yes, he did get some endorsements from other people that I admire to varying degrees, but I supported this campaign long before those endorsements materialized.

In a primary with a startlingly pathetic turnout and a crowded field of candidates, Adam Andrzejewski showed well in the polls but did not secure the party nomination.  Am I dissapointed?  Yes.  Very.  Actually, I think this is the biggest loss I have ever felt on a personal level for a political cause.  Am I disillusioned?  Only in the fact that as of this moment, out of a state of over 6 million registered voters, the ENTIRE total of votes received by ALL 7 candidates was 748,473 with 96% of the totals in.

So yes, I am disillusioned in the voting public as a whole, but not my candidate.

I know this turned into more of a standard blog posting than a P365, but it's just what flowed out.  I'll be back to regular pics on Wednesday.

(post 31/365)

1 comment:

  1. I too, was disappointed. Although I didn't work directly on the campaign, I saw a light at the end of Illinois very dark political tunnel, then discovered it was a train.

    The voter turnout was pathetic. I continue to be amazed by those who complain then do NOTHING to change what they can.

    ReplyDelete